Friday, August 08, 2008

Morning meditation

It's 10:20am.  I've been up for a little over an hour and a half.  Went to bed early last night after a long day of flyering in the rain.  I was chilled to the bone.

I have my coffee and I'm lying with my head propped up on a pillow in my bright bedroom.  I came in here to try to conserve some energy.  It's very easy to get oneself whipped up into a frenzy here, what with the whole city full of ambitious, passionate performers all trying to get noticed, to impress.  It's why I'm here too.  But whipped up energy isn't good for performing, and it's not good for the soul, at least not when it's unrelenting.  And it's been unrelenting
 lately.  So I'm here, in my bright bedroom, sipping my coffee, and blogging to you all, trying (so far unsuccessfully) to create some peace of mind.

I'll try to frame it for myself like a Buddhist might:  What a great opportunity this is to practice keeping oneself centered and present amid all this chaos.  What a great opportunity to practice remaining with myself, rather than succumbing to more dominant energies.  To practice breathing.  To practice feeling my feet on the earth.  To practice being here, now, in this very moment.  And in this very moment.  And in this one.

I am going to have fun today on stage.  I'm going to explore.  I'm going to be in this very moment and the next.  I am going to play without concern for result.  I am going to be aware of myself, my fellow performers, and every person in the room, and I am going to respond in the moment to what I hear from all of us.  I am going to be present and enjoy.

Hope you all are enjoying your mornings, wherever you are...

Love,
Anna

2 comments:

Stefanie Trenchard said...

you must have the world's lonnnngest arm, anna, to get that shot.

breathe in. breathe out.

here's a funny thought to break up the day: cole doesn't realize i can hear him skittering around upstairs in his room (thump thump thump). so when i go up to check on him "sleeping," he DIVES into bed and says "oh mommy, I'm *so* sleepy!" ;-)

Anna Moore said...

That is so adorable. I love the logic of three year olds, or nearly three year olds. Give him a squeeze for me. Good to hear from you!